Major breaking news yesterday about the plot to set up Trump, the media coverup, and alleged payments to Trump’s Attorney.
Authored by: Matt Palumbo
President Donald Trump has referred to Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel, which is investigating supposed Russian collusion, as a “witch hunt” on no shortage of occasions.
Given that none of the Trump associates charged thus far have been charged with anything relating to Russian collusion (Paul Manafort and Rick Gates being charged with tax evasion and money laundering, and George Papadapoulos with lying to the FBI), the “witch hunt” characterization sounds appropriate.
But not so fast says a meme on the unjustifiably popular Facebook page “Occupy Democrats.” It can’t possibly be a witch hunt. Why? Because Mueller is a Republican!
So we’re to assume that because Mueller is a Republican, he couldn’t possibly have any such vendetta against Trump. Perhaps Occupy Democrats needs to be put in touch with John McCain, Jeff Flake, or the literally hundreds of other Republican public figures opposed to Trump.
And here’s another thing: we don’t really know if Mueller is a Republican. All we know is that he was….. as of 2001. If he is a Republican, he doesn’t tend to surround himself with his ideological peers. To review the composition of his Special Counsel:
- Not a single one of the 17 publicly confirmed attorney’s on Mueller’s team is a registered Republican.
- Nine of the 17 are registered Democrats.
- At least 10 of the 17 have made political donations to Democrats, including Hillary Clinton.
Mueller heads the Special Counsel, but it’s a team without a single Republican doing all the legwork.
The next claim on the meme is that because Republican Rod Rosenstein appointed Mueller to head the Counsel, that too must “prove” that it’s not a witch hunt. It’s important to understand that the Special Counsel is merely a continuation of a (formally) secret FBI counterintelligence operation into the Trump campaign that began in July 2016.
And in response to that, one abiding by what Occupy Democrats considers “logic” will naturally point out that Comey too was a Republican (now Independent). But in Comey’s case, we know more about his background, and thanks to his book tour, we know he never had Trump’s interests in mind:
- While Hillary Clinton blames Comey reopening the FBI’s faux-investigation into her private email server two weeks before the election before her loss (among the other billion causes she blames), Comey said he did so to legitimize her “inevitable” Presidency. “…I’m sure that it was a factor,” Comey said in his interview with George Stephanopoulos. “That she’s going to be elected President and if I hide this from the American people, she’ll be illegitimate the moment she’s elected, the moment this comes out.”
- Comey also revealed that his entire family support Hillary. “I didn’t take a poll among all the kids, but I’m pretty sure that at least my four daughters, probably all five of my kids, wanted Hillary Clinton to be the first woman president,” James Comey said. “My wife and girls marched in the Women’s March the day after President Trump’s inauguration,” he continued. His wife told ABC she was “devastated” by Trump’s victory.
- Most significantly, in an interview on the ABC News podcast “Start Here,” Comey was asked if he still considers himself to be a Republican. “No,” Comey replied. “The Republican party has left me, and many others.”
So we don’t know if Mueller is a Republican, and Comey certainly isn’t. Regardless, even if they were, that wouldn’t mean much, unless you see the world through the hyperpartisan, black-and-white lens that Occupy Democrats seems to. It should go without saying that actions speak louder than party affiliation.